From some days I was facing a problem that my dell laptop was directly shutting down instead of going to sleep mode or on standby mode. I searched a lot and finally found a solution which I am sharing below for you.
Save any unsaved data before you proceed to the solutions as laptop may need to be restarted.
You need to reinstall your video drivers or update them.
To uninstall the video driver:
- Click on 'Start' and right click on 'My Computer'.
- Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device manager'.
- Expand 'Display adapters'.
- Right click the video driver and click on 'uninstall'
- Once the driver is uninstalled, click on 'Start' and click on 'Control Panel'.
- Click on 'Programs and features'.
- A list of applications will be listed.
- Look for the video driver's application.
- Right click on it and click on 'uninstall'.
- Once done, restart the system.
To re install the video driver:
- Click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
- Enter your system's Service Tag and select the operating system.
- Go to 'Video' and select the appropriate video card driver depending on the video card your system has.
- Click on 'Download File'.
- Select 'Single-file download' and click on 'Continue'.
- Click on 'Save' and save the driver on the desktop.
- Right click on the driver from the desktop and select 'Run as administrator'.
- Install the driver following the on screen instructions.
- Restart the system after the installation is done and check if the issue is fixed.
If the above solution does not work, you will have to update your bios.Do same as given below to update your bios.
- Click on the link: http://dell.to/SmwyAf
- Enter your system's service tag.
- Go to 'BIOS' and select the BIOS.
- Click on 'Download Now'.
- Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
- Click on 'Run' and follow the on screen instructions.
Reference: Dell Community.
For any questions, queries & suggestions feel free to leave a comment.